Thursday, July 15, 2010

Yummy Party Pleaser

As I said before, I get my love of food from my Daddy. So a lot of my yummy dishes are actually versions of his recipes. A REAL crowd pleaser when we have company over, or what we bring when we go to someone's party, is the yummy and refreshing Pico that can double as a salsa. I also make fresh chips to go along with it and you just can’t eat one…lol.

These are the ingredients that you will need. I suggest going to a farmers market to get the freshest items…and you will get better prices thatn you would in the grocery store.

4 vine ripe tomatoes

small red onion (or sweet onion…your preference)

1 clove of garlic (you can add another if you like garlic)

fresh bunch of cilantro (when picking cilantro smell it…the stronger the smell the fresher)

2 limes (when you pick your limes they should give a little when you squeeze them)

1 jalapeno pepper…or if you REALLY like a kick get a habanero pepper

I like to chop my tomatoes into small chunks (which makes it look more like salsa). So slice then chop the tomatoes and put them in a medium size bowl...if there is a lot of juice from the tomatoes in the bowl drain that off. Cut your limes in half and squeeze on top of tomatoes. Cut off a chunk of the cilantro (you can always add more to taste…I like mine really green) and chop fine. Add to the bowl. I use the fine portion of the grater for both my garlic and onion so I don’t have to chop it myself. I like the flavor of them but I don’t want to see them. If you are going for more texture you can chop them….use as much as your taste buds like. If you are using the jalapeno pepper you only need about half of the pepper. If you want to have it a little spicier then use the habanero but you don’t need as much. Add a dash of kosher salt and stir. TASTE IT (ALWAYS taste your food before serving to someone else) and decide if you want a little more spice…or if you have too much add a little tomato and lime.

For the chips all you need is a bag of corn tortillas (yellow or white), kosher salt, and a put of canola oil filled mid way in a pot (you can use a fry daddy as well but make sure the oil is fresh). Turn the oil on medium high and then cut the tortillas horizontally then vertically making 4 triangles (you can cut a bunch at one time). Make sure the oil is VERY hot before putting the tortillas in about 6-7 at a time depending on the size of your pot. If the oil is not hot enough the tortilla will absorb the oil and not get crunchy. You should have a pair of tongs moving the tortillas in the oil around, when they get a little brown take them out, put them on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Repeat until you have the amount of chips you want.

As a BONUS to make some quick guacamole at the same time. Take one ripe avocado, take the meat out and put in a bowl. Mash the avocado but not to the point of creamy…it should still be a little chunky. I like to use a potato masher because I like mine really chunky. Add a spoonful or two of the pico that you just made, a little more lime, teaspoon or so of cumin and stir!!!! Yummy Yummmmmm…

Try it out!!! I promise after you have perfected this you will be making it ALL THE TIME!!! The pico is great on nachos that you make at home as well. Let me know how you like it or if you have any questions leave those as well. Maybe I will do a video of me making the pico and the chips…let me know if that will help anyone!!

Happy Eating!!!!

Atlanta

No comments:

Post a Comment