Saturday, July 24, 2010

Easy Chicken Noodle Soup

I tend to get home from work later most days and still have to find time to study for my engineering license exam. So cooking, while I love to do it, is something that usually needs to be quick and simple. I have had a subscription to Everyday Food Magazine for about 3 or 4 years now and I enjoy it so much. I’m always looking for new recipes to try and new ideas for flavoring. One of my favorite recipes is the Chicken Noodle Soup. It’s a shortcut version that I separate into serving-size portions and freeze for later in the week or the following week to have quick and easy lunch options. Here is the recipe as listed:
everyday food chicken soup
Serves 6 to 8
  • 3 quarts Homemade Chicken Stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
  • 3 carrots, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 8 ounces medium egg noodles
  • Cooked chicken meat, shredded (from Homemade Chicken Stock recipe)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, or 1 tablespoon dried dill
  • 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley

Directions

  1. Place stock in a stockpot over medium-high heat, and bring just to a simmer. Add carrots, and simmer until tender, about 6 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Cook noodles until just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain noodles, and add them to the pot of stock, along with shredded chicken meat. Season with salt and pepper. Heat until very hot. When ready to serve, stir in dill and parsley.
Cherish’s edits:
  • First and foremost, I don’t have time to make my own broth so I usually go with Organic chicken broth by 365 (Whole Foods Brand) or Swanson (based on whichever is cheaper that day).
  • I use carrots and celery and normally I enjoy the peeling and chopping process…. but when I’m REALLY lazy I buy the pre-peeled/sliced ones that come in the plastic container, then I can just chop those into smaller chunks.
  • As for the meat, its more like a “what’s available” deal… I prefer chicken thighs for the flavor, my grandmother likes to use wings and I’ve used breasts (I prefer bone in) but they just don’t have that same tenderness of the thigh when you reheat it. I boil and then simmer the meat until its cooked through, remove the thighs/breasts and pull/shred the meat, then throw it back in. Again, when I’m REALLY lazy, I cheat by picking up a rotisserie chicken, pulling all the meant off and throwing it in pot with the broth and cooked veggies (as in the original recipe above). My favorite roasted chicken is the “Lightly Seasoned” one at Jewel-Osco.
  • Lastly, I enjoy my soup with some tasty butter crackers and a dash of Frank’s Red Hot hot sauce on days when my sinuses need a boost! Try it out and let us know how it works!

(I seem to have “lost” the pic I took of my version so I’ll have to take another and add it to this post)
Cherish (A.K.A. Chicago)

No comments:

Post a Comment